Restricted Area Permits

Restricted Area Permits

Restricted Areas Permits in Sikkim (For Foreign Tourists)

Restricted Area Permit (RAP) for Foreigners (on arrival)

Every foreigner (excluding people of Bhutanese origin), who desires to enter and stay in a Protected or Restricted Area of Sikkim, is supposed to fill up the prescribed format [Form will be provided at permit office], attach the copy of the required documents and seek approval on the same from the delegated competent authority.

Citizens of Nepal/Bangladesh may only produce a valid identity card reflecting their origin while applying for permit.

All foreigners visiting State must register themselves within 24 hours of their arrival.


Offices for obtaining RAP:

The RAP can be obtained free of cost from the following offices:

  1.   Ministry of Home affairs, Government of India, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi
  2.   All Indian Mission Abroad
  3.   Immigration Offices at Airports at Mumbai, Kolkatta, Chennai and New Delhi
  4.   Tourist Information Center, SNT Complex, Siliguri, Tourism Department phone no: +91 8348554260 / +91 9832438118 / +91 9775600888
  5.   Assistant Director – Tourism Department , Sikkim Tourism Office, 4/1 Middleton Street,Kolkata, Phone Number : 033 22817905
  6.   Assistant Director– Tourism Department , Melli, Near Melli Police Check Post, South Sikkim, Mobile No: 9775453611, 03595-248536
    ***( PLS NOTE: ILP issuing time is from 8 am to 8 pm everyday.)
  7.  Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Sikkim Tourism Office, Rangpo, East Sikkim phone no: 03592-240818
  8.  Resident Commissioner/Assistant Director, Government of Sikkim, Sikkim House, New Delhi, Panchasheel Marg phone number: 011-41680421/011-26115346.
  9.  Deputy Commissioner, Darjeeling, West Bengal.
  10.  Deputy Secretary/ Under Secretary, Home Department, Government of West Bengal, Kolkata
  11.  Tourist Information Center, Bagdogra phone no : +91 9933133819
  12.  Tourist Officer-Tourism Information Centre, Pakyong.
  13.  Tourist Officer-Tourism Information Centre, Rambam phone no : +91 7318714900.
  14.  Tourist Officer-Tourism Information Centre, Reshi.

 (Customer service timings: 09:30 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.)

The Nationalities of Pakistan, China, Taiwan, Myanmar and Nigeria will not be issued Permit without the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.


Restricted Areas for Foreigners:

On issue of permit, a foreigner is allowed to visit following places strictly for the purpose of tourism only:

  1. East: Gangtok, Rumtek, Pakyong, Barapathing, Rongli, Rhenock, Aritar, and Rorathang.
  2. West: Gyalshing, Soreng, Pemagyangtse, khechepopalri, Tashiding and Yuksom.
  3. South: Namchi and Ravangla.
  4. North: Phodong, Mangan and Singhik upto Toong. 

A foreigner desiring to visit Tsomgo Lake in the East Sikkim and Lachen-Lachung-Yumthang-Thangu Valley in North Sikkim needs to obtain Protected Area Permit (PAP) [click here for further details related to PAP]. PAP for Tsomgo Lake, East Sikkim is issued for a day excursion whereas for Lachung/Yumthang/Lachen/Thangu  in North Sikkim PAP is issued for Minimum of 3 days & 2 to the maximum of 5 days & 4 nights. The travel should be supervised by a registered guide.

Validity of Permit:  Foreigners are allowed to stay only for a maximum duration of 30 days. Application for any extension of the period of permit must be made at least 2 days before expiry of permit. 

Extension of RAP beyond 30 days can be obtained from the Foreigners Registration Office, Gangtok and Superintendent of Police at Namchi, Mangan and Gyalshing for however the duration of stay in totality should not exceed 60 days. 

The PAP to foreign tourist in a group of two or more can be obtained through the recognized Travel Agents of Sikkim registered with Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim in accordance to Sikkim Registration of Tourist Trade Rules 2008 for the places as notified vide circular number 248 dated 26.09.1998 read with notification no 16/Home/2006 dated 25.02.2006 and as amended from time to time.

The Trekking Permit in the protected areas in Sikkim can be obtained from the Assistant Director, Sikkim Tourism Office, New Delhi and Gangtok free of cost subject to the condition specified above. In addition, the trekkers should also provide a valid physical fitness certificate issued by competent central/state government medical officers.    

If a foreign national intends to visit a place in the Protected/ Restricted Area for activities other than tourism on a Visa other than Tourist Visa, prior permission of the Ministry of Home Affairs shall be taken before grant of Protected Area Permit (PAP)/ Restricted Area Permit (RAP) to the foreigner.

Grant of PAP/ RAP for the specific purpose (i.e. Business, Employment, Studies etc.) shall be endorsed on the passport of the foreigner. Besides, if a foreign national intends to visit a place in the Protected/ Restricted Area which is not opened for tourism on a Tourist Visa, prior reference shall be made to the Ministry of Home Affairs.

However, if a foreign national is holding a visa other than Tourist Visa and intends to visit the Protected/ Restricted Area for tourism purpose only, he/ she may be granted Special Permit for places opened for tourism.

Present Process Flow to apply for RAP

Step 1: Foreigners/Travel Agents should fill the application form providing the following details and submit to permit office:

Name/ Nationality/Passport No and validity date/Entry Date/ Exit Date

[Form will be provided at permit office]

Step 2: Submit a copy of valid passport, visa and a passport size photo. The permit office checks the travellers detail sheet, Passport, Visa and verifies the stamp, seal & signature. In case of any invalid documents, application should be deemed invalid.

Step 3: On successful verification permit is to be issued with a unique reference number for the duration of 30 days.

Step 4: A copy of duly filled application form/Permit is submitted to Foreigners Registration Office (FRO) for record/entry in the database

Step 5: Upon issue of permit, a foreigner is allowed to stay only for the duration of 30 days unless a prior permission for extension is obtained.

Step 6: While exiting, a foreigner is required to present themselves in FRO office for recording exit details.